A word on minibuses

If the law allows you to drive a (17 seater) minibus, then the Scout Association does not stand in your way.
If you have “D1” on your drivers license, then you should be good to go now. If no D1 then you need to get a minibus drivers licence.
Surrey County makes no requirement about MIDAS training.
Neither does East Surrey District.
There are those who consider that MIDAS training would be a good idea and they may be right, But if the law says you are good enough, who are we to say different?  This may change, but if it does it will be from the top down – our change of view will be required by Gilwell.
The Group MUST have a Section 19 permit for the minibus. Failure to have such a permit could cost you as the driver a £6000 fine. They cost £5 and last five years so don’t go there – arrange to get permits. 
Also, some extra points
  • you need to be driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus used for “social purposes by a non-commercial body”
  • the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes – or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, for example a wheelchair ramp 
  • you’re not towing a trailer
All that said, obviously you need to do your own personal assessment of risk: make sure that you are personally comfortable driving the little darlings around safely in a minibus, and ensure that the minibus is not some old shed but is in good condition. 

Comments are closed.