Plan and run an activity (not a game) with the section they are volunteering with. Adult volunteers are present to help the YL with their planning and to assist whilst running the game. They are still responsible for everyone at the meeting, so the YL will need to show the Adults what they are planning to do before they do it.
The activities should include:
- planning and organisation
- gathering any equipment or materials needed.
To complete this mission, the YL could:
- choose an activity badge to run as part of the programme, providing all of the information and materials required for the section to achieve this.
- run a segment of the camp programme, such as a pioneering activity or obstacle course. ESYLs could also plan the route for a hike, initiate some team challenges, or organise and lead a campfire
- record how their section’s programme activities count towards different badges and awards
- run an activity for the section, relating to one of their own hobbies or interests
- any other ideas, subject to agreement with the SL
- capture photos of their activity
For the activity the Young Leader should
- Agree with the SL which activity they will run and when including the estimated time required and cost
- Agree the evening that the activity will be run and how it helps support the programme for the term
- Identify and acquire the equipment / materials required to run the evening
- Communicate clear instructions for the activity before running it. Adult leaders / assistants will provide support during the activity
- Provide a basic risk assessment for the activity
- Capture some photos of the activity they ran
Consider the following questions:
- Can all members of the section take part? Is there anything they need to consider or do differently to ensure that all young people can fully participate?
- What risks do their activities present? What controls or rules do they need to put in place?
- Do they need a qualified instructor to supervise their activity?
- What equipment do they need?
Section Leader (SL) – Sign off requirements
- The YL has planned and run an activity
- The YL shared their experience in running the activity with the SL, what went well and how could it have been improved for the next time
- SL provides constructive feedback to the Young Leader on their activity
- The SL signs off on the Mission in their logbook
with the date completed